Sunday, May 6, 2007

Two Final Announcements

  1. Solutions to the last homwork asignment (HW#15) are now available outside my office door.
  2. At yesterday's review session, I was asked what you will need to know about the matemtaical models we studied using first order differential equations. I could think of four main things Newton's Law of Eooling and the exponential growth and decay models. You should have these memorized (i.e. the differential equations, method of solution, and applications). You should be able to recognize a logistic growth model, and be able to come up with the differential equation with some prompting. You should not memorize Torricelli's law.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea of a blog is great, but I think one of the reasons that this one didn't work well is that the threads are disorganized and it is not clear how to find ones that are active. This made it difficult to find information and left a lot of questions unanswered for many days (some still), probably because nobody noticed that someone had posted a question.

Anonymous said...

I agree..
I think a forum will be better for promoting discussion among classmates. Moreoever, it is really HARD to type/read equations in the web.... I would ask my TA in person rather than typing all weird symbols...

D. Handron said...

Thanks to both of you for your input. Having a forum might be a bit better interms of managing information. Maybe next semester I'll try using the forums on the Blackboard site. If only Backboard was not so painful to use...

As far as typing equations - that is certainly a valid complaint, and one that probably wouldn't go away in a forum, though there might be more options for getting around it.

Communicating in person is bound to be far more useful. I would hope that you would go to your TA or to me with questions if possible. But sometimes it's not, and then hopefully this blog, or in some future semester a forum, would be helpful.